In the mid 1930's only 1 out of 10 rural homes had electric service. For many years power companies ignored the rural areas, except where there were conditions necessary to assure early profits. In July of 1935, a group of utility company executives wrote a report in which they claimed that, in light of their earlier extensive research work, there are very few farms requiring electricity for major farm operations that are not now served.This lack of electricity made life on the farm very difficult and also limited growth in rural areas, since industries and businesses required electricity.
Farmers Electric Cooperative actually began as two cooperatives. In August 1936, a group met in the school house at Heath, in Rockwall County to discuss creating an R. E.A. project which would be called Rockwall County Electric Company. In September 1936, just about 30 days following the Heath meeting, another group met in Rains County and they voted to create Tri-County Electric Company. Because the two projects were so close in area, the R.E.A. suggested a merger and on September 11, 1937 Farmers Electric Cooperative was born.
Farmers Electric Cooperative has come a long way in the last 75 years. We now serve over 49,000 homes and businesses in the fast-growing region spanning Dallas, Collin, Rockwall, Hunt, Kaufman, Rains, Hopkins, Delta, Franklin, Fannin, Van Zandt and Wood counties in Texas.